0121 661 6867
Learning To Drive
Block Booking Lessons
Don`t Drink & Drive
Cheap Driving Lessons
Questions To Ask
Instructors Near Me
Crash Driving Courses
Show Me Tell Me
Buying Your First Car
Young Driver Insurance
Cost Per Lesson:
Show Me Tell Me
- Car show me, tell me vehicle safety questions
Do you know what Show me tell me questions are or what to expect? Find your instructor has put together an explanation of what these show me tell me questions are and when learner drivers can expect to have them asked. We have also listed below the show me tell me questions that are likely to crop up as always in the hope to support learner drivers as much as possible through there driving tests.
Show me tell me questions are otherwise known as vehicle safety questions. What is the show me tell me questions all about and what is the purpose? They are a list of questions designed for examiners to ask students once at the start of their driving test (before driving) and once during the driving test (whilst driving). The student is to answer the questions either by telling the examiner how they would carry out a safety task before driving, or by showing the examiner how they would carry out a safety task whilst driving. The purpose of asking show me tell me questions is to establish the learner drivers knowledge on how they would carry out safety tasks to assure the examiner they have practical knowledge on top of their ability have control of the car and drive safely , thus enabling examiners to make better decisions on weather the learner driver will go onto become safe road users.
The examiner will ask one "tell me" question at the very start of the test before heading out to drive. the student is then to respond to the question with an explanation of how they would carry out a safety task. These questions will be about checking the brakes, tyre pressures, head restraint, headlights etc. The student would then respond to the examiner "I would check the brakes by.." "to check the tyre pressures, I would"
Now the learner driver has answered the "tell me" question they can get behind the wheel to start there practical driving test where they will then be asked one show me question. This is where the student will have to show them how they would carry out a safety task whilst driving the car. The examiner can ask the student the `show me` question at any point during the driving test. It is a good idea for students to fully familiarise themselves with how to use the car`s controls and where to find them prior to driving! If the student is unsure how to do respond to the `show me` question when driving on the test, then the examiner would ask the student to pull over when safe and convenient then ask them to locate the control.
Getting the show me tell me questions wrong will not cause the student to instantly fail their driving test, however you can receive a maximum of 1 driving fault by answering 1 or both questions incorrectly, and of course losing control of the car whilst attempting to answer the `show me` can cause a serious or dangerous fault.
Now you know all about the show me tell me questions, have a look below to see the actual question your likely to be asked.
Tell Me questions
1. Tell me how you`d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you`d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer`s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don`t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you`d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you`d check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don`t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you`d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle (as this is a tell me question, you don`t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you`d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you`d check the direction indicators are working. You don`t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you`d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round vehicle (as this is a "tell me" question, you don`t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you`d check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you`d operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you`d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you`d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you`d use it/them. You don`t need to exit the vehicle.
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you`d know the main beam is on.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you`d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you`d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you`d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
You need to open the bonnet and tell the examiner how you`d do the check if you`re asked question 12, 13 or 14.
`Show me` questions
1. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
3. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you`d switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you`d set the rear demister?
5. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you`d operate the horn?
6. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you`d demist the front windscreen?
7. When it`s safe to do so, can you show me how you`d open and close the side window?
Find Your Instructor :- Your Online Resource For Learning To Drive
Find Your Instructor © All Rights Reserved